? ??????????????Tropical Dreams? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.7 (24 Ratings)??17 Grabs Today. 10592 Total Grabs.
??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????Right Near Da Beach? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.6 (5 Ratings)??11 Grabs Today. 2298 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ???????Tr BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Spiritual sobriety

I have been reading "Captured by Grace" by David Jeremiah during my quiet time. The following sentences really stood out to me today. I have never heard the term "spiritual sobriety" before but I think it is a powerful idea based on Titus 2:12.

"Spiritual sobriety is the maturity to exercise sound mind and judgment. It is inner self-government that reins all the passions and desires that war against us. The grace-driven believer disciplines his passions as a military leader would discipline his troops. And what passions? Eating, sleeping, talking, playing. The Spirit of God will point you to the specific issues of your own life. The idea is that the poor, rescued reprobate will not only give up the old, worthless pursuits; he will exercise wisdom and restraint in the new choices he makes of his time."

Good stuff, huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! I bought the book, but haven't read it yet. Maybe I should, because this excerpt hit me right where I am! I have never left a comment on a blog before, so this is another first. Keep up the good work.

Kurt Ervin said...

Self goverance is huge!! How we spend our time, resources, and gifts. I have learned that when we are investing into building relationships, we are investing into future. I recently heard this question that challenged me..."In the past three years have you made more significant relationships, or more significant purchases?" It seems that in our culture we have replaced "community" with possessions. At the end of the day our identity is not in what we possess, but rather into what lives we have invested in and what lives have invested into us to show us Christ.

Great to see you bloggin Kathy!! Miss you guys!