? ??????????????Tropical Dreams? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.7 (24 Ratings)??17 Grabs Today. 10592 Total Grabs.
??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????Right Near Da Beach? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.6 (5 Ratings)??11 Grabs Today. 2298 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ???????Tr BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Priorities and Expectations

I read this quote last week from “The Names of God” by Andrew Jukes and it pinned me to the wall:

“We would not pass a bag of money, if we might have it, because we could get some pleasure from it; but we can pass by God, morning, noon, and night, for we expect no good or pleasure from Him.”

Bible study and having a quiet time are a frequent practice in my life but sometimes I will go an entire day or two without opening God’s word. As a matter of fact, just last week I realized that I had read the complete Mt. Vernon newspaper but I had not “had time” to read the Bible. Who knows how many television shows I have watched on days when I just couldn’t “get to” my quiet time. Such pathetic excuses! The Holy Spirit used this quote by Andrew Jukes, written in 1882, to convict me deeply. I share it with you as a matter of my own confession but also to ask you to listen to the Holy Spirit on this subject. I bring no condemnation; that is not the way of our El Shaddai (Romans 8:1). It’s not about legalism, either. Think in terms of “quality”, not “quantity”. I simply request that you ask the Lord if He is pleased with the time you spend with Him and His word, and respond to what He shows you.

3 comments:

Michelle "Picklewart" said...

I too am very guilty of passing by His word. I don't doubt that we all truly are busy people, but it's kind of like Billy Hybels' book title "Too Busy Not to Pray". We are a nation full of people that are too busy not to spend time in God's word. We need those moments to re-focus our thoughts and goals before we get too far off track.



Thank you for reminding me that I need to allocate a little more of my day for reading the most important book in the house - The Bible.

- Min - said...

Wow - this cuts deep. I won't even try to make excuses. I have a to do list made out on a post-it note and 100% of the time I only get 1/2 to 3/4 done and carry over to the next day the things I don't get done. I'm reminded by you today to PUT IT ON THE LIST because in my self-imposed business I won't consciously make the time. Shame on me!
Today I'm thankful for..... You and your humility!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding me I need to intentionally spend time in God's Word. I have been watching what I eat in order to improve my physical health, but I often neglect to feed my soul on Holy Food from His Word. I can't have a healthy soul that way. It will dry out and shrivel into a brittle, dusty tumbleweed blown about by strong winds of my own thoughts & emotions based on what I see in the world and not on what God says.

Thank you, too, for confessing a shortcoming and letting us see that you are, like all of us, a work in progress.