? ??????????????Tropical Dreams? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.7 (24 Ratings)??17 Grabs Today. 10592 Total Grabs.
??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????Right Near Da Beach? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.6 (5 Ratings)??11 Grabs Today. 2298 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ???????Tr BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Friday, April 25, 2008

Women of Joy

Last weekend I was blessed to attend the Women of Joy Conference in Branson with an incredible group of women from Covenant. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! As my friend Sherry said, "What happens in Branson, stays in Branson!"

Some specific things I want to remember from Priscilla Shirer:


  • What have you stopped expecting God to do in your life? As God to make Himself flesh to you in this part of your life.

  • Unconfessed sin is like putting the veil back up in the temple.

  • If I don't "get anything" out of a passage of scripture or a lesson, what does it teach me about the character and personality of my God?

  • Priscilla Shirer calls her grandparents "Twodaddy" and "Twomommy". Precious!

The next speaker was Liz Curtis Higgs:



  • Her story of falling out of the airport bench/seat. Make-you-cry-hilarious!

  • Liz spoke on the passage in Mark about the woman who had been bleeding for 12 years. That is 4,380 days of being considered unclean and untouchable.

  • Touching Jesus would have meant she was breaking the Law. Perhaps she was healed the moment she reached forward so she wasn't actually bleeding by the time she touched Him - thus not breaking the Law.

  • Jesus had his "back" to the woman, but He still healed her.

  • When a person is trying that hard to find joy [by using drugs/alcohol, etc.] and settling for fun, that person is a seeker on the path to God.

Kay Arthur brought the house down, in my opinion, and she looked INCREDIBLE!



  • She spoke for probably 15 minutes and quoted scripture after scripture. I was again convicted of my laziness in regard to memorizing God's Word. I was also energized about teaching Bible study.

  • I actually got within a couple of feet of Kay while she was signing autographs and taking pictures. She was RIGHT THERE! It was a big moment, I'm telling you!

  • She recommended a book by David Bossie about Hillary Clinton. If Kay Arthur says to read something, by golly I'm going to read it!

  • My favorite quote from Kay: "Believe the Word, obey the Word, and eventually you'll wear the enemy out."

The Jeremy Camp concert was incredible. If you were there, you know what I mean. Indescribable.


The last speaker was Karen Kingsbury, who is incredibly tall and very gracious.



  • I had a book autographed by her and we spoke for just a few seconds. She is my favorite Christian fiction author of all time.

  • My favorite quote from Karen: "A vibrant, joyful life always puts priority on the people God has placed in your life."

  • Click the link for the videos she referenced on YouTube: old lady and the airbag: http://youtube.com/watch?v=cAQiu9i_Wpw and the one about anencephaly: http://youtube.com/watch?v=aB8Ti-Dhpco

  • The entire auditorium was one blubbering mess when she finished by reading her children's book, Let Me Hold You Longer. I don't even have kids and I was a total wreck!


What a weekend! My prayer is that the Lord will enable me to put what I learned into action in my life. Otherwise, it was just an expensive shopping trip. I want the experience to be much more real than that. I can hardly wait until next year!




3 comments:

Lora Turner said...

Thanks for your comment. This was my 3rd year at Women of Joy - 1st time at Branson - Previously went to Gatlinburg. This was such a refreshing time, I too tried to soak up as much as possible so that I may be changed for the better. God Bless!

Mrs. McCullah said...

I am leaving a 2nd comment (look in the one with Joy fishing)! I am glad you had fun! I haven't been to a Women of Joy before, it sounds like fun! Thanks for keeping us updated on Austin!

Michelle "Picklewart" said...

I had heard the story about the anencephaly baby carried to term on Focus on the Family, but that video is just heart-wrenching. It really is a wonderful example to everyone of the value of life - no matter what condition it may be in. That must have been a very bittersweet 11 minutes that family had with that little baby.